  • From: Dave Siegel
  • Date: Tue Aug 15 16:19:38 1995

> And Paul Traina wrote something vaguely similar.
> I think you guys are both missing what I think was Jon's original point:
> Routers forward packets faster than PCs, but the forwarding function and
> the routing protocol function do not have to reside on the same box.  You
> can add a PC (workstation, whatever) which runs the routing protocol and
> stuffs routes into the router.  It doesn't have to support the link-layer
> du jour.  Ethernet will do the job just fine.
> As I recall the original discussion was of colocating a router, to forward
> packets, with a workstation, to compute routes.

So what would the normal implementation of such a design be?  ebgp-multihop
all of your peers into the PC, and then a single peering session the Cisco,
presuming no "next-hop-self" routes?

I can see some amount of value in such a design, if it could be made to work
correctly.  Does anybody have the spare equipment to build a lab?  (pfeh, yeah,

Dave Siegel			Director of Engineering, Net99		(602)249-1083 24x7 NOC line	(520)318-0696 My Tucson Office