Re: UDP port 137 Question

  • From: DAVE NORDLUND
  • Date: Thu Jan 08 11:03:56 1998

> Date:          Tue, 06 Jan 1998 12:17:47 -0800 (PST)
> From:          Melody Yoon <melodyy@best.com>
> Subject:       Re: UDP port 137 Question
> To:            Bryce Ryan <brycer@organic.com>
> Cc:            jlarsen@ford.ajtech.com, nanog@merit.edu

> On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Bryce Ryan wrote:
> [cut]
> > who was it that said, "never attribute to malice what can be explained by
> > stupidity?"
>
> no clue, but I like the quote. :)
>
> > we run a web farm and see requests directed at port 137 all the time on the
> > web sites we host.  i don't know for certain, but i assume it is some sort
> > of internet explorer "feature" that is attempting to establish a CIFS
> > connection to the web site.  we ignore them anyway.
>
> Hi Bryce. That's a possibility which I had not thought of.. However, to
> test it, I ran Explorer on some machines here (including IE4.0 for Sparc) and
> directed it my workstation here which is running apache. I've got snoop
> running monitoring port 137, and so far, I've gotten no hits from the machines
> running IE4 that are specifically directed to my Sparc (as per the scenario
> from the original poster). Due to the way our network is configured here, I
> don't have the ability to go over a router (we're on a Cat5k switch).

I believe that WIN95 will do the UDP to 137 only of both MS network and
TCP/IP are configured.  If you kill the MS network, that won't happen.

> Could someone out there do a similiar test and double check my methods and see
> if I just did something wrong? :)
>
> mel
>
> Melody Lynn Yoon      melodyy@best.com              | Graduate - '97 MSF
> Senior SA - Taos Mountain Software, Santa Clara, CA | NRA Member
> -- I do not accept commercial, unsolicited email
> -- http://www.best.com/~melodyy/spam.policy.html

Dave Nordlund               d-nordlund@ukans.edu
University of Kansas        913/864-0450
Computing Services          FAX 913/864-0485
Lawrence, KS  66045         KANREN