Re: [nanog] Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

  • From: Stephen Balbach
  • Date: Fri Jan 23 11:16:18 1998

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Deepak Jain wrote:

> > UUNET doesn't own dedicated single-circuit copper to people's houses.
> >
> Okay, now lets talk about a wide-scale xDSL implementation using a
> reasonably well known POP architecture like UUNet's.
> If xDSL can only run about 18kft end-to-end, to service a wide metro area
> like Washington, D.C. one would either have to have a POP within every 6
> mile radius (fed by conventional circuits) or backhaul the data (by
> conventional circuit) to their POP.
> Is this correct, if not, what am I missing?

We are part of the Bell Atlantic ADSL trial in Northern VA - basically BA
has 6 CO's with terminating ADSL modems. This is aggregated onto a FDDI
ring between each CO on cisco's. One of the CO's has a port into the BA
SMDS cloud which is the interconnect with participating ISP's who also
have a port on the SMDS cloud. So basically, packetize the data as early
as possible to get the 20x plus economies of scale vs hauling channelized

VP Technology