Re: Routing Policy and

  • From: Stephen Schmidt
  • Date: Wed May 06 13:00:24 1998

> For the first time we have had to deal with  Sprint's routing policy as
> defined by  Here is the situation.
> One of our dialup customers wants to access his website in the
> network at another provider.  PSI is advertising it as a
> /24.  According to Sprint's routing policy, they do not honour anything
> longer than a /19 in .

It's interesting that PSI routes it at all.  While IP ownership (note the
NON-PORTABLE below) and routing aren't necessarily interconnected, I
suggest contacting the block's owner and seeing if they know it's
alternately routed.  If they wish, they can request that PSI un-route this
block.  However, that would break whomever is using it.  The user should
re-number into PSI space, and this issue will go away.  If the user is
multi-homed, they should investigate the adivisibility of getting a CIDR
block which they can announce as an aggregate.

My $0.02
iSTAR Internet Inc. (NETBLK-ISTAR0005)
   250 Albert Street, Suite 202
   Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6M1

   Netname: ISTAR0005
   Netblock: -
   Maintainer: ISTR

      iSTAR Registration  (ISTARREG-ARIN)  registration@ISTAR.CA
   Alternate Contact:
      iSTAR Internet Inc.  (ISTARDS-ARIN)
      tel (613) 780-2200  fax (613) 780-6666

   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   Record last updated on 23-May-96.
   Database last updated on 5-May-98 16:09:35 EDT.

> I am now in the position trying to explain to the very non-technical
> customer, why he cant reach that site, which from his point of view just
> seems like I am passing the buck...
> Anyways, my question is, are their any other ISPs/NSPs that follow the same
> guidelines.  UUNet seems to honor it just fine, as does MCI.  Is Sprint
> more hardnosed than most ?
> 	---Mike
> Mike Tancsa  (           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
> Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
> Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra

    _/    _/  _/  _/                                     Stephen E. Schmidt
   _/_/_/_/  _/  _/_/_/_/                           Vice President,  Access
  _/    _/  _/        _/                 American Information Systems, Inc.
                                  For my PGP public key, email me with the
                                  subject "pgp request"