Re: renumbering and roaming

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Mon May 18 15:56:43 1998

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> I would recommend getting a single /24 allocated (probably from the swamp)
> and reserved for this use, instead of utilizing existing PA space, as
> there may be some situations where you walk on top of an already allocated
> PA space, and by having something not listed in the PA RFC you end up
> getting away from clueless people who utilize PA space.

Yeah. Then 192.0.35/24 would be a good choice. It's in an IANA reserved
block that already has subnets allocated for special purposes such as
192.0.2/24 for use in textbook examples. I picked 35 at random except for
making sure that there are no digits in common with 192.0 because that
makes it easier for people to type in correctly, etc.

> 1)  Have a RFC written which contains the following:

Sounds like you already have a good start on the document. Write it up
according to these guidlines
and and
then send it to when you are done.

> Now, I realize that we just stepped out of the lines of nanog.   Is there
> an appropriate IETF forum to discuss this in?

Basically the only generic place for this sort of stuff is the ietf
mailing list but you don't need to do
that to get things started.

Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail:           -  *check out the new name & new website*