Re: Suggestion for improved identD

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Fri May 22 23:15:53 1998

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 10:41:38AM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Ehud Gavron writes:
> >Suggestion:	PPP access devices intercept identD requests
> >		and return the authenticated access string.
>
> I've done this for a couple of internet providers in Western Australia.
> Either by using transparent proxying under Linux (one used a Linux term
> server..), or a route-map to a *nix box on a Cisco.
>
> There are a few privacy issues too - if you want to see who is online,

Plus, for some applications it doesn't matter. One of the biggest applications
of identd is for IRC, and the IRC model is broken. For example,
amethyst.nstc.com, my home PC running Linux, HAS a working identd. But
although Efnet IRC servers always recognize it, DALnet servers never do.
(Hey, Mr. Nielsen, fix your servers. :)

--
Steven J. Sobol - Founding Member, Postmaster/Webmaster, ISP Liaison --
Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail (FREE) - Dedicated to education about,

Info: http://www.ybecker.net or Usenet: <6i6eeu$kr9$1@camel18.mindspring.com>

mailto: sjsobol@nstc.com, sjsobol@nacs.net, sjsobol@apk.net