Re: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

  • From: mike harrison
  • Date: Tue Apr 10 19:46:40 2001

> Note that this specifically does not cover a Linux "router", as denoted by
> the "a bit of clue" clause. Also note that Zebra is stable and useful only
> when it is doing nothing or next to nothing.

Jumping in over my head:

   I have both (intel/alpha) Linux boxen running Zebra (for BGP only)
with ethernet, T1 and (lanmedia) DS3 interfaces as well as Cisco's ranging
from 25xx to 75xx.

   *nix boxen acting as routers are certainly useful, very flexible
and stable when used appropriately. Zebra does basic BGP pretty darn well.
OSPF and other things are still broken but the future is bright. I use
them and will continue to.

   They do not compare on the same scale as purpose built hardware and
OS's like the Cisco's, Lucent, Ascend... equipment. Anyone that thinks
that they compare directly is delusional, as I was.