Re: Cisco PPP DS-3 limitations - 42.9Mbpbs?

  • From: Tony Rall
  • Date: Wed Feb 20 17:13:45 2002

On Wednesday, 2002/02/20 at 09:08 PST, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:
> [0] - corollary: qos mechanisims decide which packets to drop.  but isps
>       are paid not to drop any packets.

Exactly.  I've been saying this to vendors for the last few years, as they
try to push their QOS mechanisms on me.

I'm not in the business of trying to engineer some optimum packet discard
strategy.  I would rather spend my time and money trying to minimize the
drop percentage.  (I haven't been tested yet with the task of trying to
minimize or standardize latency for traffic like VOIP - might change my
tune if I was dealing with that.)

Tony Rall