Re: genuity - any good?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Apr 12 20:04:44 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Roy wrote:
> Registering is not "bad", its just not beneficial.  Given that the routes I want
> to announce are within my assigned range, why is it a good thing to register
> them?  If the transit provider always add entries when I ask for them, it seems
> to be very little benefit..

The simple reasons is some people (or their buggy router) deaggregated
multiple Class B's or A's and broke some upstream providers.  You can
blame whomever you want, but registration gives the user a chance to
notice a typo resulted in 65,535 routes before actually announcing all
those routes.  No, it doesn't stop a malcious router engineering.  But
it is a nice "defense in depth" or "speed bumb" for dumb mistake(tm)
prevention.