Re: Large ISPs doing NAT?

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Thu May 02 20:30:10 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Joe Abley wrote:
> The concern exists regardless of the specifics of the always-on,
> cellular packet radio protocols being used, surely?

You're right, of course. I was focusing on the wrong thing when I replied.
> > [GSM coverage is patchy in the US]
> It's prevalent elsewhere. I'd be surprised if there aren't more GSM
> subscribers in the world than non-GSM subscribers.

GSM is *the* standard in Europe. Australia, Korea, Japan and a couple
other Pacific-Rim countries are primarily CDMA. South America is primarily
TDMA. Most of the rest of the world is GSM, if I'm not mistaken.

Steve Sobol, CTO (Server Guru, Network Janitor and Head Geek) LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET
"The Indians are unfolding into the 2002 season like a lethal lawn chair."
  (_News-Herald_ Indians Columnist Jim Ingraham, April 11, 2002)