Re: NOC contact for AS3908 (SuperNet Inc.)?

  • From: cowie
  • Date: Fri Jan 24 08:24:20 2003

> Does anyone have a working NOC contact for SuperNet Inc., AS3908? Or if
> they are now perhaps owned by some other entity (All traces seems to end
> up in, who might that be, and how can we get in touch with
> them?
> The issue is that 3908 is incorrectly announcing five /24's and a /22
> with origin-AS 3908, out of a legacy class B belonging to one of our
> downstream customers in Norway (who use and announce the entire /16
> only), these incorrect more-specifics are obviously causing some
> connectivity issues for our downstream, but we have been unable to find
> a working NOC email or phone number for SuperNet.

I can't give you a NOC contact, but I can perhaps fill in some of the
routing history of the situation.

Using GRADUS (, I identified the networks from
your description (hopefully the right ones :), looked into the patterns of
advertisement, and reconstructed the timeline (all times GMT).

None of these blackholing more-specifics were being advertised before
19th November 2002.  The sequencing of events suggests to me that all six
networks "belong to" and are being managed by a single organization.

Someone from BBN may be able to shed more light regarding the "ownership"
of the subnet.

19 Nov 2002 (19:12)

  First route. Genuity starts originating, and
  continues to do so for 51 days.
22 Nov 2002 (18:11)

   Supernet starts originating

02 Dec 2002 (20:03)

   Supernet starts advertising

10 Jan 2003 (01:04)
   Supernet starts originating

10 Jan 2003 (17:00)

   Genuity abruptly stops originating, leaving
   them providerless.
10 Jan 2003 (20:12)

   Supernet takes over origination of as well.
15 Jan 2003 (13:26)

   Supernet starts originating and
20 Jan 2003 (23:34)

   Your customer starts advertising the full legacy B space (,
   single-homed out of AS26797.  It has not been routable to this point.
22 Jan 2003 (17:00)

   AS2116 starts advertising the /16 as well.  SuperNet is now blackholing
   your customer by advertising the six more-specifics.

Good luck,

James Cowie
Renesys Corporation