Re: Fast TCP?

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Wed Jun 04 23:24:46 2003

Glad this came up as I have been reading this paper -

Does Figure 1 in
seem reasonable ? Will 100 RED TCP flows really only fill 90% of a 155 Mbps pipe but 87% of a 2.4 Gbps connection
and 75% of a 4.8 Gbps connection ? This seems strangely non-linear to me.

A more fundamental question is, is this really useful except in the case of very high bandwidth single flows (such as
e-VLBI or particle physics or uncompressed HDTV).
After all, isn't the current standard practice not to come close to fully utilizing backbone bandwidth ?

Marshall Eubanks