Re: rfc1918 ignorant

  • From: Kevin Oberman
  • Date: Wed Jul 23 14:04:59 2003

> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:50:05 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Dave Temkin <dave@ordinaryworld.com>
> Sender: owner-nanog@merit.edu
>

> Needs is a tough call.  Plenty of networks block ICMP at the border and
> could very well be using 1918 addressing in between and you'd have no
> idea.

And the network is broken.

People persist in blocking ICMP and then complain when things don't
work right. Even if you explain why blocking ICMP is breaking
something, they say "ICMP is evil and we have to block it". OK. they
are broken and when things don't work, they need to tell their
customers that they are choosing to run a network that does not work
correctly. (Not that I expect anyone to do this.)

I don't see anything "tough" about this call.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)