RE: Measured Internet good v. "bad" traffic

  • From: David Schwartz
  • Date: Fri Aug 29 17:16:53 2003

> At 02:45 AM 8/28/2003, David Schwartz wrote:

> > > No that wouldnt work, that was be an analogy to non-usage based
> > > eg I buy a 10Mb port from you and you dont charge me extra for
> > > unwanted bandwidth across your network..

> > The point is that 'usage' is supposed to be 'what you
> > use', not what
> > somebody else uses. 'My' traffic is the traffic I want, not the
> > traffic you
> > try to give me that I don't want.

> An Internet-connected line is like an 800 phone line.  You get connected,
> you "advertise" your presence, you have no control over who
> calls, you pay
> the bill for the incoming calls.  That's just *how it is*.
>
> jc

	The last time I went looking for more bandwidth from a new provider (5
months ago or so), I talked to five major providers. I told each one that we
would not pay for attack traffic after we notified them of the problem but
were willing to pay a reasonable 'per-incident' fee (say $500). Not one of
these providers had any problem with that. So it's not "how it is".

	DS