Re: question on ptr rr

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Sun Feb 08 15:31:54 2004 (Sean Donelan) writes:

> A Google search turned up
> But wouldn't this defeat the very behavior you are depending on to
> block mail?  If every network administrator had reverse DNS for every
> IP address, your check for systems lacking rDNS wouldn't work.

that's one check of many.  the PTR has to match the HELO, which means all
of the worms and spammers who forge addresses and use YAHOO.COM
as their HELO will continue to get hammered.

> Or do we actually want a Fortune 1000 network.  Direct communications
> are prohibited between most users.  If you are not a Fortune 1000 network,
> you must forward your email through an approved provider which will check
> the mail for unauthorized content.

yes, actually, that's what we're headed for.

> Suppose AOL, MNN, Yahoo, etc agree to accept mail from each other and not
> from other people.  This is pretty much how the world worked from
> 1980-1990.  CompuServe, MCIMail, The Source, Delphi, etc.

fine by me.  the people i want to exchange mail with aren't AOL users anyway.
Paul Vixie