RE: Status of FCAPS model? Useful? Obsolete?

  • From: Gregory Hicks
  • Date: Tue Nov 09 01:11:35 2004

> From: "Hannigan, Martin" <>

FCAPS is the (supposedly) ISO model for network management (See wiki
def at  It is an acronym
for Fault, Configuration, Accounting, Performance, and Security...

Other misc definitions:,,sid7_gci752173,00.html

However, Forrester Research seems to think that FCAPS is obsolete (at a
cost of $99 to read other than the first sentence) unless you are a
registered Forrester client (I am not).,7208,29439,00.html

Other references do not deem it dead just yet.

Gregory Hicks

> -M<

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet:

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin