Re: Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

  • From: Alain Hebert
  • Date: Tue Apr 11 16:57:20 2006 wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:00:14 CDT, Robert Bonomi said:

1) _Who_says_ it is 'false data'? *Who*knows* what that machines is 'supposed'
to provide TO WHOM?

I think if you are handing another machine an NTP packet that's intentionally
set several months off just to get them to shut up, you *know* the answer
to "is it false data".

I submit that;
1) If the query originator is 'entitled' to make assumptions about what the

2) It would seem that the server operator is *equally* 'entitled' to make assumptions about what the query means, and
3) to respond in a manner consistent with _his_ understanding of what the
query originater 'wanted'.

If the query originator fails to 'get what he wanted', due to his failure
to communicate _in_advance_ with the server operator, *WHO* is to blame?

I suppose pointing out that the Internet works because providers *cooperate*
and *agree on protocols* would be pointless....

Yeap ... cooperate... Which DLink is not doing.

All legal discussion end the same way... a dead end.

Half are scared by lawyer and the other have enought intestinal fortitude to put them in there place.

(At the bottom of the sea hopefully)

Alain Hebert PubNIX Inc. P.O. Box 175 Beaconsfield, Quebec H9W 5T7
tel 514-990-5911 fax 514-990-9443