Re: Interesting new dns failures

  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
  • Date: Mon May 21 15:18:29 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 06:57:06PM +0100,
 Simon Waters <simonw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

> PS: Those who make sarcastic comments about people not knowing the
> difference between root servers, and authoritative servers, may need
> to be a tad more explicit for the help of the Internet challenged.

Warning, the rest of this message is only for
Internet-challenged. They are probably uncommon in NANOG. For
instance, I cannot believe that people in NANOG may confuse the ".com"
name servers with the root name servers.

An authoritative name server is an official source of DNS data for a
given domain. For instance, is authoritative for
".ve". There are typically two to ten or sometimes more authoritative
name servers for a domain. You can display them with "dig NS

A root name server is a server which is authoritative for the root of
the DNS. For instance, is authoritative for "."
(the root). You can display them with "dig NS ." (for the benefit of
the Internet-challenged, I did not discuss the "alternative" roots).