North American Network Operators Group|
Date Prev | Date Next | Date Index | Thread Index | Author Index | Historical
Re: The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6
On 6/28/07, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx <Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:33:25 EDT, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ said: > I'm working on it ... But I think it will be really difficult to capture in > a couple of pages what the document try to explain !
1. IPv4 address space is a scarce resource and it will soon be exhausted.
2. It hasn't run out already due to various efficiency improvements.
3. These are themselves limited.
4. IPv6, though, will provide abundant address space.
5. But there's no incentive to change until enough others do so to make it worthwhile.
6. Economists call this a collective action problem. Traditional solutions include legislation, market leadership, and agreements among small actors to achieve such leadership.