Re: [NANOG] Charter Communications going to sniff traffic for advertising?

  • From: Jean-Michel Planche
  • Date: Wed May 14 16:48:39 2008

In same spirit, something worst I think ...
If you are in some airport with a GSM/Wifi phone, you are going to
receive a mail, from local Wifi provider to explain you how to reach
his (local wifi) network.
Tested in Roissy / France, with iPhone. iPhone will switch from edge
to wifi connection. I think that some application try to reach their
server (like mail) and local provider sniff differents things (user
name / mail sure but what about passwd ??) to send you back an email.
Interesting ...

Jean-Michel Planche							blog:
Chairman and co-founder Witbe				web :
Follow me
2.0 Monitoring : relevant End to End monitoring for critical app. and
carrier class services