Re: [NANOG] Charter Communications going to sniff traffic foradvertising?

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Thu May 15 09:46:24 2008

On May 15, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I've found that using SSL for all my SMTP and IMAP transactions
> and not entering personally identifying information into non-SSL
> web pages greatly reduces the amount of harvesting results I see.
>
> As to Charter, I opt out by simply not purchasing anything from them.
> It seems to work far better than bothering with their silly cookie
> process.

I think that's fine and all, but there are people where choice doesn't
exist.

I would chose FIOS (or a fios-like service) for my home internet.
That choice does not exist.

Verizon has not built that infrastructure in my state, nor does it
appear they have any plans to.

Where choice does not exist, and there is no high-speed duopoly to
choose between, what would you do?  Build your own infrastructure a
few miles at a cost of $2-50+/foot?

	- Jared