North American Network Operators Group|
Date Prev | Date Next | Date Index | Thread Index | Author Index | Historical
Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?
"Bogon" filters made a lot of sense when most of the Internet was bogons. Back when 5% of the IP space was allocated blocking the other 95% was an extremely useful endevour. However, by the same logic as we get to 80-90% used, blocking the 20-10% unused is reaching diminishing returns; and at the same time the rate in which new blocks are allocated continues to increase causing more and more frequent updates. Have bogon filters outlived their use? Is it time to recommend people go to a simpler bogon filter (e.g. no 1918, Class D, Class E) that doesn't need to be updated as frequently? -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@xxxxxxx - CCIE 3440 PGP keys at http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/