  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Fri Nov 07 02:28:09 2008

On LKML (Linux Kernel Mailing List) there is talk <> about shipping the Linux kernel with ECN turned on by default (it was on by default a few years back but that change was reverted due to too many sites dropping ECN enabled SYNs).

Recent investigations <> shows that 0.5% of end hosts will drop SYN packets with ECN turned on. This is approximately the same rate I have seen for A/AAAA adoption in this tread <>.

Do we in the operational ISP community have an opinion on ECN adoption that we want to voice? As far as I can discern from <> for ECN to actually be useful, we (the ISPs) have to turn this option on in the routers as well. Is anyone doing this today? What vendors support it?

When I thought about it, the IP core (10G links etc) first came to mind, and there it's fairly easy to roll out (since I guess a lot of us do WRED already), but what about on slower links? Would it make sense to have our DSLAMs do this? What about DSL/cable modems (well, vendors should first realise that FIFO is not great to begin with :P) ?

<> is a summary page I found on ECN that looks like a good resource for further reading. Is anyone looking into including ECN configuration into some BCP document?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx