Re: o/t: Re: Root zone change -- d.gtld-servers.net

  • From: Roland Dobbins
  • Date: Thu Sep 21 13:58:12 2000

What's wrong with being U.S.-centric?  While use of the net is growing
in other countries, the U.S. is still the place where the most traffic
originates/terminates, and since this is the *North American* list, it
stands to reason that issues in the U.S. portion of the system will get
more play here.

No, I don't have any statistics,and I'm too lazy to go suss around for
them - maybe .edu is higher than .org.  .com & .net are definitely the
top two, though.

Austin Schutz wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 09:30:01AM +0100, Patrick Evans wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Austin Schutz wrote:
> >
> > >     Do you have statistics to back up the 'three most widely-used TLDs'
> > > statement?
> > >
> > >     According to www.netsizer.com, org isn't even in the top
> > > ten. I'm not sure upon what they base their data, but I was unable
> > > to find evidence to the contrary.
> > >
> > </pointless pedantry>
> >
> > Hearing anything from netsol before they try to break stuff is both
> > novel and (personally speaking) quite welcome, particularly given the
> > grief they've been given for staying silent about everything in the
> > past.
> >
> > Makes a pleasant change from bitching about ORBS, anyway.
>
>         And anything with IANAL anywhere in the message body. My point was
> that assuming that org is the third largest TLD reinforces the u.s.-centric
> belief that the non-u.s. world is insignificant with respect to domain usage.
>
>         Austin
>
> p.s. yes I'm aware this message body contains IANAL.

 Roland Dobbins <[email protected]> // 818.535.5024 voice