Re: Energy consumption vs % utilization?

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Tue Oct 26 16:04:30 2004

In message <[email protected]>, Alex Rubenst
ein writes:

>Hello,
>
>I've done quite a bit of studyin power usage and such in datacenters over
>the last year or so.
>
>> I'm looking for information on energy consumption vs percent utilization. In
>
>> other words if your datacenter consumes 720 MWh per month, yet on average
>> your servers are 98% underutilized, you are wasting a lot of energy (a hot
>> topic these days). Does anyone here have any real data on this?
>
>I've never done a study on power used vs. CPU utilization, but my guess is
>that the heat generated from a PC remains fairly constant -- in the grand
>scheme of things -- no matter what your utilization is.

I doubt that very much, or we wouldn't have variable speed fans.  I've
monitored CPU temperature when doing compilations; it goes up
significantly.  That suggests that the CPU is drawing more power at
such times.

Of course, there's another implication -- if the CPU isn't using the
power, the draw from the power line is less, which means that much less
electricity is being used.