Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

  • From: Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Date: Fri Apr 07 15:55:38 2006

Well, this is at least marginally on topic, and I think it deserves a wider audience. It is written by Poul-Henning Kamp (the affected party). Please read it.

http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/

It ends with the following:

Didn't something like this happen before?

Yes, D-Link is not the first vendor to make a hash of the NTP protocol. Some years back NetGear products blasted University of Wisconsin off the net. I have repeatedly pointed D-Link's lawyer at this case. Fortunately, in my case it is not that bad.

The NetGear incident caused the NTP protocol designers to add a "kiss of death" option to the Latest (S)NTP standard but D-Links devices does not respect that option. I have tried.

--
"You can't have in a democracy various groups with arms - you have
to have the state with a monopoly on power," Condoleeza Rice,