April 6, 2023Stories
Start Your Seattle Coffee Tour Here
Your Guide to the "Coffee Capital" of the U.S.
by Elizabeth Drolet
The Best Part of Waking Up...
Coffee is like a fine wine, "the best cup" can only be determined by the person whose palate it touches.
Check out this curated list of legendary cafes in the coffee capital of the United States. Then plan your hunt for the best cup of coffee during your stay in the Emerald City for our upcoming meeting, NANOG 88.
47 years of Coffee and Community
- Opened in 1975 in Seattle's University District.
- Beans are imported from family farms around the world and roasted in small batches onsite at cafe.
- Home to Seattle's oldest espresso bar.
Location: 4214 University Way NE.
Hours: Weekdays 7 am - 5 pm
Weekends 8 am - 5 pm
Enthusiasm and Excitement for Espresso
- A pioneer in Seattle espresso culture.
- Co-founder David Schomer wrote a book on "espresso techniques and latte art" in 1994. The book educated many baristas who have since opened cafes and/or chains across the country.
- Visitors are encouraged to "pay homage" to Caffeina, Goddess of the Walking Day. She is located near the Capitol Hill sidewalk bar.
Location: 532 Broadway E.
Hours: Everyday 6 am – 7 pm
Victrola Coffee Roasters
Jazz Era Artisan Coffee
- Committed to sustainable production and ethical sourcing. All beans are produced without chemical treatments or pesticides.
- Named after the home phonograph, which was a staple of the 1920's.
- Features a Free Coffee Tasting + Q & A.
Location: 310 E Pike St.
Hours: Monday - Friday 6:30 am - 8 pm, Saturday & Sunday 7:30 am - 8 pm
Starbucks Reserve Roastery
Far from your Average Starbucks
- Features a sophisticated menu of drinks. From a whiskey cold brew to dark chocolate mocha, there is something new for everyone to try.
- Interior features wood and gold tones with polished serving counters, copper stills and roasting machines.
Location: 1124 Pike St.
Hours: Monday - Friday 7 am - 8 pm
Ghost Alley Espresso
Local Roaster in Historic Hideaway
- Within spitting distance of Seattle’s Gum Wall.
- Vanilla and caramel syrups are homemade.
- Built within part of the first public toilets on the west coast, location still has original 1908 tiled floor.
Location: 1499 Post Alley.
Hours: Open every day. To go only, order from the window.
Beans Sourced from Africa
- Beans are strictly sourced from East Africa.
- Boona Boona combines floral and herbal ingredients to create a custom blend.
- The Rose Cardamom Latte over ice is one of the most popular drinks. Savor cardamom nuttiness paired with a refreshing rose flavor. The pair creates a creamy and aromatic paradise.
Location: 1223 East Cherry St.
Hours: Monday - Sunday 8 am - 5 pm
Wunderground Mushroom Coffee and Tea
Medicinal Mushrooms Meet Artisanal Coffee
- Coffee is infused with medicinal (not psychoactive) mushrooms.
- According to the website, health benefits from these supplements include immunity, reduction of brain fog, improved gut health and sleep, and reduced anxiety.
Location: 1111 E. Pike St. Suite 111.
Hours: See website.
Authentic Italian Coffee with Seattle Flair
- Before Caffé Umbria was established in Seattle, the grandfather of the founder - Ornello Bizzarri founded a roastery in Perugia, Italy.
- Owner, Emanuele Bizzarri continues grandfather's legacy today.
- According to its website, "Caffé Umbria coffee is used in hundreds of businesses across the United State, including Napa's Culinary Institute of America."
- Umbria sources high-quality Arabica beans and has an award-winning, 100% organic medium roast, a signature blend with tastes of "molasses and pecan, and a rich and chocolate-like classic espresso."
Location: Several locations.
Hours: See website.
Connect with other community members for NANOG 88, taking place in our Seattle location, 12 - 14, June. Register Now.
Elizabeth Drolet is NANOG's Multimedia Story Producer
November 15, 2023 • Community News
Annual ANRW Discusses Emerging Results in Applied Networking Research + Why You Should Attend
Why Network Research?Network research may seem far from building and operating networks' practical, day-to-day requirements. However, the recent Applied Networking …Learn More